Bring me to your campus! I give talks and facilitate workshops across the country and enjoy working with groups of students, faculty, and staff. My primary areas of expertise and experience are:
- Online teaching and learning; Integrating teaching and technology
- Critical and Inclusive Pedagogy in secondary and higher education
- Race, history, diversity and inclusion; Anti-Racism
- Course (Re)Design and Syllabus workshops
- The Americas in the nineteenth century, particularly the US Civil War and Reconstruction Eras.
I can speak and facilitate sessions on a range of pedagogical topics like course design, flipped learning, teaching with primary sources, and anti-racist pedagogy. I will work closely with you to ensure that my visit is of maximum assistance to your community, and helps start or advance important conversations around teaching, learning, student success, and social and educational justice.
I’m always excited for opportunities to share experiences and perspectives with colleagues. In the past couple of years, I’ve given talks and workshops at:
- Simpson College, keynote and workshops for Spring Faculty Development Day, January 2020
- University of Nebraska—Lincoln, keynote and workshops for the College of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources Faculty Development Day, January 2020
- Marian University, keynote for the annual Tools for Teaching Conference, August 2019
- Luther College, workshops facilitated for faculty, August 2019
- St. Norbert College, workshops facilitated for Inclusive Excellence Faculty Learning Community, May, 2019
- Elizabethtown College, keynote for MLK Week, January 2019
- Columbus State University (Georgia), Backward (Re)design and Inclusive Syllabus workshops, January 2019
- SUNY—Fredonia, keynote and workshop for the 12th annual Teaching & Learning Conference, August 2018
- Oregon State University, e-campus Faculty Forum, May, 2018 (Keynote speaker)
- Various Professional Development workshops at individual buildings for Des Moines Public Schools
For queries, scheduling, and rates, please feel free to contact me at 515.263.6102 or firstname.lastname@example.org (references available on request)
NOTE: with the Covid-19 virus disrupting in-person gatherings and conferences, I should note that I am also available to facilitate virtual keynotes/sessions/workshops. I am an experienced “virtual presenter.”
Click HERE for my current c.v.
On September 26 and 27, 2017, I had the honor of delivering the keynote talk and leading several workshop sessions at the State Government of Oregon’s Diversity and Inclusion Conference. Below are the slides I used for each talk; they’re licensed with a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 International, so feel free to use and borrow them for any non-commercial purpose.
Keynote Talk: “The Revenge of History: Race and Power in the United States”
Workshop: “Baked into the Cake: Race and Policy in US History”